Tuesday, November 27, 2018


Romans 12:12

Rejoicing in hope; patient in tribulation;
 continuing instant in prayer;

I came across this verse on the weekend, and despite having read it many times before, it really jumped off the page at me.

It's interesting how the Lord will speak to you through a verse that you've read so many times before, in a different way and really open your eyes to the promises or the truths that are held there.

In the past few months, I have gone through some very difficult times and have faced great trials that have left me in despair. Yes, the Lord has upheld me through it all, but there were times when I felt all alone and unsure of what the future would hold.

When I read this verse, it really spoke to me.

Rejoicing. Patient. Continuing.

Hope. Tribulation. Prayer.

I am to rejoice in hope. What hope? The hope I have in Christ. He is my salvation. He is my eternal security. We have a hope that the lost world doesn't have. We should rejoice in it. We should show and feel great joy and delight in this hope.

And if we are rejoicing in this hope, it is a surety that we will be patient in tribulation. Sitting quietly, when He calls us to suffer. Able to accept problems without becoming anxious.
 Waiting. Patiently.

I recently studied through Psalm 40, and in verse one it says,

I waited patiently for the LORD; and he inclined unto me,
 and heard my cry”

When I read this verse over and over, I was convicted by the word 'patiently'. I realized that when I go through difficult times, I wait, yes, but I don't do it patiently! Patience is not one of my strong points. I am not naturally patient. In this Psalm, we are told that David waited patiently, and the Lord heard his cry. Is the reason the Lord doesn't hear my cries to him because 
I am waiting impatiently?
Yes. Food for thought.

The next thing in this verse in Romans, is, “continuing in prayer.” Continuing. The dictionary defines this word as; 
without a break in continuity; ongoing.

The words 'continuing instant in' represent just one Greek word, meaning, literally, to persevere, be constantly diligent, to be earnest towards, ever enduring. The picture here is one of always being ready to pray. To be in an attitude of prayer constantly.

So, we are to pray continually.

1 Thessalonians 5:17 Pray without ceasing.

Another example and command for us to pray continually.

Colossians 4:2 Continue in prayer, and watch in the 
same with thanksgiving; 

So we are to rejoice, to be patient and to continue.

The challenge for me and for you also, is to really apply this verse to your lives and be actively rejoicing in the hope we have, to be patient in the trials that come our way, and to always be continuing in prayer, with thanksgiving in our hearts to the Lord for all He has does and will do in our lives.

God doesn't want us to live defeated lives, discouraged and despairing. He wants us to rejoice in His promises and be thankful, and bring our requests to Him, patiently waiting on His answers, letting Him lift us up above our dismal circumstances, raising our voices in worship to Him, praising Him for His abundant grace and mercy that he showers upon us.

Rejoice. Be patient. And continue.




No comments:

Post a Comment