Tuesday, January 22, 2019

Dirty Windows

Not a good photo, I know, but it has a purpose. Read on. 



This morning, as I walked into the kitchen, I noticed that the sun was shining through the kitchen window in such a way, that it lit up the window so brightly, that all the dirt shone through. My windows looked absolutely filthy!

Now, I'm not by nature an untidy person, and I try to keep my house neat and clean, but this window was disgusting! It was smeared, from a hasty wipe with a wet rag, it was spattered, from recent rains hitting the flyscreen and plastering the window with the dust that had settled there. There was a strange series of 'drips' that looked like oil or something leftover from cooking. Ugh!

I'm telling you all this because it got me to thinking about my life and the effect that the Son, S-O-N,
God's Son, has upon our lives.

The sun, S-U-N, had shone through my kitchen window and showed up the ugliness. But the Son,
S-O-N, is able to shine through the darkness and show us our sin. 

When God's light shines upon our lives, it shows up the ugliness that is in our life, it shows the condition of our hearts and highlights the areas that need cleaning up.

Psalms 90:8 Thou hast set our iniquities before thee, our secret sins in the light of thy countenance.

God's Word has the ability to illuminate the problems that need dealing with in our lives. The Word of God shines into the darkest little corners and shows up the dust and cobwebs in our lives that need attending to. God's Word shows the state of our hearts.

We read in Hebrews 4:12 that the Word of God is sharper than any twoedged sword.

For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

We know that God uses His word to pierce our hearts. God's Word can work in us like no other words can. God has the ability to see us through and through.

1 John 1:5 This then is the message which we have heard of him, and declare unto you, that God is light, and in him is no darkness at all.

I am so glad that God is light and that in him is no darkness. We need God's light to shine upon our darkness. God's light makes the darkness to flee. Sin cannot be where God is.

Psalms 27:1a The LORD is my light and my salvation;

So, despite seeing the filthiness of my kitchen windows this morning, I'm glad God shone the sun through at that particular moment, because it made me stop and think about the light of His Word. It made me pause and examine my life. It encouraged me to dwell on heavenly thoughts and had me praising God, that he would use a dirty kitchen window as an object lesson to teach me that I need to be pure and clean before Him. I want to be a clean vessel. A useable vessel. A teachable vessel.

Psalms 139:23 Search me, O God, and know my heart: try me, and know my thoughts:



No comments:

Post a Comment