Wednesday, July 24, 2019

12 Disciplines of a Grateful Heart
Part 8



Set aside time daily to express thanks to God

Ephesians 5:20

 Giving thanks always for all things unto God and the Father

 in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ;

Setting aside some time daily to take time to praise God is a good way to cultivate a grateful heart. The more we praise Him, the more we find to give Him thanks for. We will never run out of things to praise Him for.

Many times in scripture we read of people giving thanks and often we are commanded to praise. A grateful heart has to be cultivated and we have to practice thankfulness. Who better to give our praise to than God?

There are many verses encouraging us to pray throughout the day, but we should also use these times for praise. Not just supplication, but actually, seriously, taking time to praise and be thankful and tell God sincerely that we are grateful for the blessings we receive at His hand.

Psalm 5:3

My voice shalt thou hear in the morning, O LORD;

 in the morning will I direct my prayer unto thee, and will look up.

Psalm 55:17

 Evening, and morning, and at noon, will I pray,

and cry aloud: and he shall hear my voice.

Psalm 119:62

 At midnight I will rise to give thanks unto thee

because of thy righteous judgments.  

Setting that time aside every day, whether at the beginning or the end of your day, make a conscious effort to praise. Keep a list of blessings, so that when you sit to thank Him, you will be reminded of His goodness.

What an encouragement it is to my heart, when I am feeling overwhelmed or down or disheartened, to be able to stop and praise God for all He’s done. I find that after only a short while, the sky is brighter, the birds sing sweeter, the darkness lifts and my perspective changes and I can smile in gratefulness to my great Saviour.

Go ahead and try it. Take time to give thanks daily!

And watch your gratitude meter grow!


No comments:

Post a Comment