Friday, March 1, 2019

From the Archives

In going over some of my 
older writings, I found this poem
that I had written 11 years ago,
while going through a difficult trial.

It still resonates with me today. 
In a recent trial, I had some of 
the same feelings, but God is faithful
and he always knows what's best 
for us. And he is right there beside us,
through it all. The rainbow is there,
in the midst of the clouds. God just 
wants us to trust him, and he'll show us, 
in his perfect timing. 

Hebrews 13:5b

…...for he hath said, 
I will never leave thee, 
nor forsake thee. 



Taken, not Forsaken

I lay on my bed, so full of despair,
I thought to myself, was anyone there?
Did nobody care, my outlook was bleak,
My mind full of turmoil, such peace did I seek.

I dwelt on my troubles, all alone on my bed,
Such terrible thoughts, I'd rather be dead.
My focus became so centred on me,
The light so dim, I could not see.

I had forgotten the promises I so longed to hear,
I felt as if God, was no longer near.

Then a voice so quiet, so still, yet so strong,
Seemed to cry out, “I have that peace for which you long.
Come unto me, and cast all your care,
I haven't forsaken you, so don't despair.
My child, I've been here, all the time,
Oh, why is it that you've been so blind?
You've been living in darkness, and not in the light,
I have all strength, all power and might.
I am here to carry you through the deep,
I will not falter, though the way be steep.”

It was then I realized I had been so wrong,
I was not forsaken, He was there all along.
His gentle hands leading me thru the fire,
Hands so strong, they would not tire.

Oh what peace flooded my soul,
The love of my Saviour had made me whole.
I was so full of selfish pride,
For this reason, now I cried.

I now found myself humbled, and broken,
Since my Lord had so kindly spoken.
I looked back on the times I had struggled in vain,
On my own, I thought, I could lessen the pain.

All along He knew what was best for me,
I needed the storm to set me free.
For without the clouds above me so dim,
I saw not the light coming from Him.

His brilliance pierced thru the darkest night,
I was left in no doubt of His power and might.
The things I had once found so bitter,
I now began to see them glitter.

God was working in me, to cause me to shine,
To hold fast to the promises, that I could make mine.
Never once was I so cruelly forsaken,
Thru the storm and the night I had to be taken.

For my Lord, He knew, all along,
That I needed a storm to make me strong.


Jillian Holmes
16.09.08


No comments:

Post a Comment