Tuesday, June 4, 2019

12 Disciplines of a Grateful Heart






“If we cultivate the discipline of gratitude, we can overcome the temptation to turn our backs on the Lord in self-absorption as the nine lepers did. Instead, like that healed Samaritan, we'll be sure to run toward the Lord, fall at His feet, and whisper often the words He delights to hear: "Thank you." P. Thigpen



Recently, I read a sermon by Paul Thigpen on the subject of Gratefulness. In it, he outlined 12 disciplines of a grateful heart. I found them to be very helpful in developing a heart of gratitude in my own life.

I have found that becoming continually grateful is not something that just comes naturally to me. It has to be cultivated. It has to be worked on.



” I tremble as well to remember that ingratitude is a clear indicator of the heart turned in on itself of the proud, restless ego that is never satisfied, that believes the world owes it whatever it can get. Whether complaining that the gift is not good enough, or too absorbed in the gift to say thanks, the ingrate spurns the Giver in favour of self.” P.Thigpen



I know that for me, I have to consciously make myself think thoughts of gratitude and take time to sit and ponder all the things in my life that I can thank God for.

I know that often, when I come to God in prayer, my prayers are that of supplication and intercession. These things are needful, but to have a heart of thankfulness, and adoration pleases the Lord and brings honour to Him all the more.

We are commanded many times in scripture to give thanks to the Lord. It’s not just a suggestion that we praise God, but a command! The command to praise Him is just as important as the command to love others.

Psalm 136:1 O give thanks unto the LORD;

 for he is good: for his mercy endureth for ever.  

If you read the whole of Psalm 136, you’ll notice the phrase “his mercy endureth forever” repeated over and over. Why? In this passage, the Psalmist is bringing our attention to the many wonderful works of the Lord, telling the people to give thanks to the Lord and then giving them the reason to be thankful. “his mercy endureth forever”. This Psalm doesn’t just apply to a people long ago, but to us in this day and age. His mercy still endures forever. And we need to give thanks.



Ephesians 5:20 Giving thanks always for all things unto God and the Father

 in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ;

I love the use of always and all in this verse. We are often told to be careful about using the word “always”, because we use it wrongly, when accusing someone of wrongdoing or complaining about our lot in life. But in this verse, it is imperative that we ALWAYS give thanks and for ALL things. Not just the good things. But ALL things. Ouch. Yes, that’s not so comfortable, giving thanks during trials and for all things. But, it’s not a suggestion, it’s a command.

Our lives are a gracious gift from God’s loving hand, and our hearts should overflow with gratitude to God, each and every day for the bountiful blessings he showers upon us.

So, I’d like to go through these 12 disciplines of a grateful heart, one by one, to help us all gain a better understanding of gratefulness and a heart of gratitude.

Over the next few days or weeks, learn along with me, how to develop a heart of gratitude and a spirit of thanksgiving. I need to be continually reminded to be thankful and I’m sure I’m not the only one. We all live busy lives that can crowd out our offerings of praise to God, but with some serious prayer and determination, with the Lord’s help, we can all become more skilled at giving God the praise and adoration that He deserves so that thankfulness flows naturally from our lips.



“If tomorrow’s supply depended on today’s thanksgiving,

 how much would I have tomorrow?”



Colossians 3:17 And whatsoever ye do in word or deed,

 do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, 
giving thanks to God and the Father by him.



To be continued with Discipline no. 1….

“Give thanks as a holy discipline independent of feelings”






















No comments:

Post a Comment