Wednesday, December 26, 2018

Our Trip

Day Twenty

Part One 


Day Twenty and our epic trip
had almost come to a close. Sigh. 
But, waking up (a little later than usual)
to a picturesque view of burnt country dotted
with spinifex and sheoaks, with their strangely 
drooping branches against a backdrop of painted mountains,
was just  another reminder of God's goodness to us. 

We headed on our way, inching ever closer
to one of my favourite places in Australia. 
Uluru. 



I couldn't get enough of the amazing 
mountains that surrounded us as we drove.
The colours were intense and so varied. 

After driving for about half an hour,
we noticed our light bar seem a little lopsided.
So, we stopped to check it out, and Dave
pulled out his trusty wire and fixed it up
quick smart, and we were on our way again. 
(Those unrelenting corrugates were doing their work) 
We also had a hole in the exhaust which helped
to make our cruiser sound even tougher than she was. 



Once again, we came across some camels
that were walking down the road,
they kindly got out of the way for us
and went merrily on their way.


We endured some more corrugates
before our dirt road days were over. 
It was often less bumpy if you drove
as far as you could on the side of the road
instead of down the middle. 
We didn't need any more corrugate related 
damage done to our old girl.
(Emilee's ute handled the bumps a lot better)
 

I was very excited to see the mirage
like view of the Olgas in the far distance,
meaning we were getting ever closer to Uluru,
a place I seem to have a strange connection to
(I know, it sounds weird, but it's true)


Kata Tjuta, meaning 'many heads' 
in the aboriginal language of the Pitjantjatjara peoples,
is the real name of the Olgas. 
It is an amazing place and we hadn't been 
here since 2009, so it was great to revisit
and explore once more. 


Arriving at the Olgas, we stopped to have
some lunch before heading off to explore. 
Luckily, we arrived just before a few tourist
buses spilled their weary passengers out of their
doors, and sent them scurrying for the toilets. 
(the line was incredible, so we were glad 
we just beat them!)

As I said before, there's a strange thing that
happens to me when I get into this part of the country.
I become a little like a child with ADHD,
drinking Red Bull and eating lollies. 
Yeah. Hyper. I'm antsy. I can't sit still.
I'm restless. I'm excited. Hmmm. 
Yeah. I dunno either, but the family will vouch 
for me, they just shake their heads 
and look the other way. 
(strangely enough, the closer I get to the rock,
Uluru, the calmer I become. Almost peaceful)
Yes, totally off my rocker, I know. 


Okay, so after that baring of my soul,
onto the business of the trip. 
We decided just to do the short walk,
the Walpa Gorge Walk,
so we'd have time to get to Uluru and hopefully
climb it again after a nine year absence. 
(actually Dave and I visited a couple of years
ago, but it was closed to climbers)



These epic rock domes are absolutely 
amazing as they tower over you, 
with the tallest one stretching 546 m into the air.
(that's 200 m taller than Uluru)



Yep, you feel pretty small way down below. 
I don't have a wide angle lens big 
enough to get the whole dome in from top 
to bottom. Awesome rock. 
Even more awesome God!





An hour an a half later,
we were finally on our way to
Uluru. Ayers Rock. THE ROCK. 
Whatever you like to call it. 

I get quite a buzz when I see the rock
peeking over the horizon in all its splendour. 
The first glimpse is always special. 
Leaving the Olgas behind and fading into 
the distance, we pressed on to the 
magnificence of Uluru.  


We all hoped that the climb would
be open and that after nine years, 
we'd be able to climb it once more. 
This time, the girls being older and 
not having to hold their hands
and our breath with every step they took. 

But you'll have to wait and see
and watch this space for the next instalment...……….

To be continued...……...

No comments:

Post a Comment